Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving in DC (aka "the District")

Apparently I'm not up with lingo down their. All this time, I refered to Washington DC as "DC," but apparently everyone down there calls it "the district." (in case you cared).

Like my last post mentioned, my sister's family visited me a few weeks ago due to a death in the family. Ironically, they flew back to DC, oops, I mean "the district" on Friday, and I flew down the next day for a week's long stay for vacation and Thanksgiving.

Elaine and Mike recently bought a house right on Mass Ave and asked me to help them do some stuff around the house, namely a closet in the master bedroom, where there was little space for any storage at all.

Pictures!

My friend Dave decided to help one day since he didn't have too much else to do. He recently quit his job and is enjoying life more than me these days! Dave and I squeezed into a cut-out barely wider than a magazine cover to get into the attic to install some recessed lighting. I wish we had footage of me trying to get in and out of that cut-out. During one point, I asked Mike to take of my shoes, because they kept getting stuck. Laughing hard and barely able to talk, Mike replied, "Why don't you take off your ass instead!" Real funny, Mike, real funny.
Once up in the attic we found...well...poop. Bird droppings everywhere! Apparently birds were getting into the attic somehow over the years and left a nice mess for us to forrage through as we installed the lights. No bird flu viruses yet! Whew!

The frame of the new his and her closet.

This is what I looked like after an hour or so of sanding drywall.
Elaine and Maya advising the project and checking in.
My Uncle Jeff taught me a lesson a long time ago. Sometimes you have to sit back and admire your work.
Mike and I next to the almost finished product. (we ran out of paint and they are also going to special order some doors which will take a month of so to come in.)