Friday, December 19, 2008

Ice storms and more...

Like a previous post mentioned, we had a severe ice storm out here in the northern Boston area that extended well into New Hampshire and Maine (I think). Its been over a week since the actual ice storm, but there are still people without electricity! I've heard numberous stories about trees leveling cars and crashing through windows/homes, etc, so when the extend of the damage to our house was a few large branches on the roof, I considered it lucky! Again, my dad is still in town for the holiday season visiting from Japan, so he was happiest to know that there was no significant damage to his brand new roof he had installed last summer. He got a quote of $700 to remove the branches and the tree, which is not necessarily unreasonable, but still alot to pay for something you can (in most cases) do yourself. So, we spent the next Saturday cutting away. I was the lucky one who got to climb all over the roof to start removing the branches. We only got about half of the work done - one more Saturday should do the trick.


It ended up not being as bad as it sounded when it came crashing on the roof at 3am.






After the smaller stuff was removed.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Hi Chris!
Welcome back to New England... I found your blog through Elaine's. I just read through a few posts and I am laughing so hard at the comment about my dad and admiring your work. Spot on. Hope to see you all over the holidays!
Love,
Kendra

MamaM said...

Scary! You guys must've nearly had heart attacks when you heard the big crash. You're lucky you got power restored so quickly. Jodi wrote on her blog that they didn't get it back for four or five day! Good work clearing the roof. But sad that the trees have to go :(