Monday, June 8, 2009

To the Land of the Rising Sun

I recently bought my ticket to Japan in anticipation to see my parents as well as other friends and relatives. A good friend, Gabby, has decided to join me in hopes that I can play tour guide since she doesn't speak a word of Japanese. My Japanese, although somewhat rusty from my years of living in Hokkaido is still decent enough to get us around on our own ( I hope!).

The original plan was to meet up with Gabby in LA (where she currently lives) and then travel to Japan together, but there is a side to the airline industry I will never understand.

Roundtrip ticket from Boston to Tokyo = $700
Roundtrip ticket from Boston to LA = $1200

Does this make any sense at all?

The $700 ticket to Japan (actually it was $692 including all taxes!) was a big-time score, especially taking into account that it is a busy travel time. Thankfully this should free up a little bit more money to sightsee and move around the country.

Although I won't be on Gabby's flight from LAX to Narita (Tokyo's International Airport), coincidentally, we happen to arrive within 30 minutes of each other. We have no set plans as of yet, but I'll let Gabby be the deciding factor in where and what we do since this is her first trip there. Surely there will be a few days stay in Niigata, where my parents are currently residing, walking distance from the local beach.

Even though I was recently there in 2007, there still remains alot to be seen there. One thing I have wanted to do for years now is to hike Mt. Fuji, but alas, Mt Fuji closes (the trails, that is) late July. Bummer.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing new things, family time with my parent's and other relatives, and getting my fill on sushi, yakiniku, tebehodai's, sukiyaki, curry rice, gyudon, and the like. What I don't look forward to is the 16 hour flight from Boston to Tokyo and then back again!

Mt. Fuji will have to wait until next time.



Riding on the "shinkansen" to Niigata is always fun. Some of the world's fastest trains.


1 comment:

Kea said...

I got dibs on being your companion for your next Japan trip! I wanna go :(